As an addendum, it pains me to see the extent that Christian leaders go to rid their congregations of pain for the lost and burden for those losing in so many facets of society.
We prepare carefully and lawyerly worded coded messages.
You say tell me in what ways:
- Run to Washington for Pro-Life legislation
- Leave out the message of Adoption
- Sexual Preferences
- We take the place of the Holy Spirit and preach to each other, rather than those who we are supposedly trying to reach
- Prosperity Gospel
- Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal ( Matthew 6:19 )
- Do not weary yourself to gain wealth, Cease from your consideration of it. ( Proverbs 23:4 )
- This is how it will be for anyone who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich toward God. ( Luke 12:21 )
- Those who want to be rich, however, fall into temptation and become ensnared by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction. ( 1 Timothy 6:9 )
- Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business, and make a profit.”
You do not even know what will happen tomorrow! What is your life? ( James 4:13 )
- Love & Fear ?
- There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
We love him, because he first loved us.
If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.
( 1 John 4:18-21 )
- Brotherly Love
- If anyone with earthly possessions sees his brother in need, but withholds his compassion from him, how can the love of God abide in him? ( 1 John 3:17 )
- Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You traverse land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are. ( Matthew 23:15)
- Apostolic Authority
- Such people should consider that what we are in our letters when absent, we will be in our actions when present.
We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they show their ignorance.
We, however, will not boast beyond our limits, but only within the field of influence that God has assigned to us—a field that reaches even to you.… ( 2 Corinthians 10:12 )
- For I tell you that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. ( Matthew 5:20 )
- Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. ( Matthew 5:42 )
- Hear the word of the LORD, you who tremble at His word: “Your brothers who hate you, who exclude you for My name’s sake, Have said, ‘Let the LORD be glorified, that we may see your joy.’ But they will be put to shame. ( Isaiah 66:5 )
- Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. ( Hebrews 10:25 )
That which is hidden
Therefore judge nothing before the proper time; wait until the Lord comes.
He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts.
At that time each will receive his praise from God. ( 1 Corinthians 4:5 ).
I know it is customarily these days to say we only follow the New Testament and so the Mosaic Law is done away with; including these ones…
Laws of Social Responsibility
If you lend money to My people, to the poor among you, you are not to act as a creditor to him; you shall not charge him interest.
If you ever take your neighbor’s cloak as a pledge, you are to return it to him before the sun sets,
for that is his only covering; it is his cloak for his body. What else shall he sleep in?
And it shall come about that when he cries out to Me, I will hear him, for I am gracious.…
( Exodus 22:25-27 )
Again, what are we pained by? Our adherence to Laws & Regulations.
We confuse the great commision with the great omission.
Forsook that the Love of God is what Leads to repentance, we argue that it is our Preaching, our Laws, our resoluteness.
The Greatest Commandment
“Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
“These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.
…“Teacher, which commandment is the greatest in the Law?”
Jesus declared, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'”
Again, when one makes an argument one way or the other, those who are wise ought to be able and free to ask which tools of the being played a role in arriving at that decision.
Is it Love, Soul, Might, Mind…
We deride gifts including Love and claim Scripture Only, Sola Scriptura.
What did Jesus die for? And, what are we dying for.
We skim over the fact that you do not have a word, if you do not have a burden.
Apologetics is good, but what are we arguing over.
But reject foolish and ignorant speculation, for you know that it breeds quarreling.
And a servant of the Lord must not be quarrelsome, but he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, and forbearing.
( 2 Timothy 2:23 )
I am sure that Paul had another word in mind, but thankfully the Holy Spirit got a bit ahead of him, and insisted on kindness first.
- Old Testament
- Therefore I said, Surely these are poor; they are foolish: for they know not the way of the LORD, nor the judgment of their God. ( Jeremiah 5:4 )
- New Testament
- “You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things? ( John 3:10 )
Using words from one of my teachers:
- I am waiting for God to go through the Church, and say you are not a Christian, you are are not a Christian
- Pushing people down, because we have no authority to raise them up
Some of these teachers do not have a word outside of Doomsday prophecy; that which is already being written thousands of years ago.
And, yet they refresh and repackage it as a new word.
- When the Spirit of God says do not fear, they say yes fear
- When the Spirit do not worry how to respond as “The Spirit will give you words“, they take over
- But you, Daniel, roll up and seal the words of the scroll until the time of the end. Many will go here and there to increase knowledge. ( Daniel 12:4 )
- And when the seven thunders had uttered their voices, I was about to write: and I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Seal up those things which the seven thunders uttered, and write them not. ( Revelations 10:4 )
- Scribes and Pharisees
- Love the greetings in the marketplaces, and the title of “Rabbi” by which they are addressed.
But you are not to be called “Rabbi,” for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers.
( Matthew 23:8 )
I pray that we do not love “the praise of men more than the praise of God“.