Our title text is from 1 Timothy 5:19.
And, it reads :-
Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses.
There is a video I placed on YouTube and someone placed a comment that reads :-
Classic example of someone allegorizing every text that they happen to use in a sermon…. that’s not how the Bible was written. Big problem here
My Quick Take
Personally it hurts me that whenever someone tries to help others, those more learned, see to jump in and critique that person without doing the following.
- Narrowly pinpointing what they have an offense with
- Specifically help and say how they can do better
- Submit to Leadership
- We all have to be consecrated
- And, be under some kind of leadership
- Struggle with things, especially when we feel the Spirit is saying otherwise
- Be minimal, so to speak, and not be flippant.
Say what the Spirit Said and say “No more, no Less“
- Seek each other out
- And, advice in private
- Modern era through social media provides various ways to seek each other out. And in the interest of time, be very specific as to where we think the other person might have erred
- Understand we are called to various demographics
- What appeals to demographics is not always intersected
- Why will God need me, when the other says everything the way I would have said it
- It is one thing to speak in error
- Yet another to appeal to various senses and culture
- Work Harder
- I will say work harder, if you are so offended by what someone is teaching
- Provide contrasting materials and view points
- So that others can hear
- And, the person who is wrong can be convicted
- For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you. ( 1 Corinthians 11:19 )
- Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour; I am the Lord.
( Leviticus 19:16 )
- There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.
( Proverbs 6:16-19 )
- A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter.
( Proverbs 11:13 )
- A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.
( Proverbs 17:22 )
- The Selfishness of the Unfriendly
- Who can survive a broken spirit?
( Proverbs 18:14 )
- The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks it out.…
( Proverbs 18:15 )
- The north wind driveth away rain: so doth an angry countenance a backbiting tongue.
( Proverbs 25:23 )
- Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth.
( Proverbs 26:20 )
- Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer.
( Psalm 101:5 )
- 1 Corinthians
- Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
( 1 Corinthians 13:8 )
- 2 Corinthians
- For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:
( 2 Corinthians 12:20 )
- Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.
( Thessalonians 5:11 )
- And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;
And to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake. And be at peace among yourselves.
Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.
See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.
( Thessalonians 5:12-15 )
- Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;
( Hebrews 12:15 )
- Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.
( Hebrews 13:17 )
- If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man’s religion is vain.
( James 1:26 )
- My dear brothers and sisters, how can you claim to have faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people over others?
But if you favor some people over others, you are committing a sin. You are guilty of breaking the law.
So whatever you say or whatever you do, remember that you will be judged by the law that sets you free.
There will be no mercy for those who have not shown mercy to others. But if you have been merciful, God will be merciful when he judges you.
( James 2:1-12 )
- Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the Law and judges it. And if you judge the Law, you are not a practitioner of the Law, but a judge of it.
( James 4:1 )
- Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
( James 4:7 )
- Jesus Sends Out the Disciples
If a man of peace is there, your peace will rest on him; if not, it will return to you.
Stay at the same house, eating and drinking whatever you are offered. For the worker is worthy of his wages. Do not move around from house to house.
( Luke 10:6-7 )
- For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known.
Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops.
( Luke 12:2-3 )
- But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.
( Luke 22:32 )
- The Leaven to Beware
When they crossed to the other side, the disciples forgot to take bread.
“Watch out!” Jesus told them. “Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”
They discussed this among themselves and concluded, “It is because we did not bring any bread.”…
( Matthew 16:6 )
- If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.
( Matthew 18:15-17 )
- Deliverance By Grace
- Josh Buice
- Private Accusations Against Your Pastor Is a Sin
- 119 Ministry
- 119 Ministries – Echad – The Necessity for Unity
- Steve Gregg
- 08. 1 Timothy 5:19 – 6:19 – Steve Gregg
Channel :- The Body of Christ
Published On :- 2016-Feb-03rd
We claim we are speaking for God here. And, not for ourselves.
If we want to speak for ourselves, there are plenty of materials and videos to speak on.