Trained one of the utilities that I am evaluating against a new SQL Server Instance.
Greeted with a few error messages.
I have tried this same utility against other SQL Server Instances and so I know that the application itself is good.
I also know that this SQL Server Instance is configured a bit differently.
It’s collation is binary.
And, so a bit precise about letter cases.
Out utility drops the existing database and creates a new one upon each use.
Here are choices we have to address :-
- Specify a case-insensitive collation during database creation
- Change Database collation right after creating database; yet preceding any object creation
Create Database with case insensitive collation
create database [database] collate Latin1_General_CI_AS go
create database [DBLab] collate Latin1_General_CI_AS go
Create Database and change collation before creating objects
create database [database]; go alter database [database] collate Latin1_General_CI_AS go
create database [DBLab]; go alter database [DBLab] collate Latin1_General_CI_AS go
See some things are easy to do if …
- Application is open source
- Application is designed to be extensible
- If error is determined before too late