Monday evening turned wet on us.
And, as always I was without my umbrella.
Made it on the train and got off at my stop.
Only a bus ride stood between me and home.
But, missed the previous by 10 minutes.
The next one was 50 minutes away.
Holding still is not me and so walked to a waiting bus.
The Bus Conductor was not manning the bus.
So got on and waited for her.
A few later someone asked me where I was going and I gladly replied.
She said it was good and that we will be leaving shortly.
It was only a small smoke break and we left shortly thereafter.
She did not even ask me to pay.
She asked if I had to walk upon getting off her bus, and I said Yes I do.
She said you can have the umbrella sitting on the stand between she and her passengers.
Continued that someone left it, forget it.
You can use it
I looked at her and wondered, are you kidding me.
Knowing she was not not going to drive that bus home and eventually she will need an umbrella too.
But, she replied she is good.
And, that giving is just the way she is.
It is my SMH moment.
One of my best friends came to visit about a year and half ago.
I had made an appointment, but I decided I was not going to keep it.
As fate will have it, his GPS system took him to the city square and I ended up making that appointment nonetheless.
He told me, that appointment I had made was not really for my benefit, but for his.
We ended up spending the whole day on that one appointment.
His words has stayed with me.
The umbrella was not for my benefit, but for her benefit.
Through the evening she will likely offer others that same umbrella.
Eventually there will be someone that really needs it.
As I got off the bus, I said I will pray for you.
And, that has an expectant mother, she should wait with conviction on a promise.
- In Pisidian Antioch ( Acts 13:15 ) ( Link )
- After the reading from the Law and the Prophets, the synagogue leaders sent word to them: “Brothers, if you have a word of encouragement for the people, please speak.”
- Living Sacrifices ( Romans 12:8 ) ( Link )
- …if it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach;
- if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is giving, let him give generously; if it is leading, let him lead with diligence; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.
- Love must be sincere. Detest what is evil; cling to what is good.…
- James 4:5 ( Link )
- Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, “He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”?
- But he gives more grace.
- Zephaniah 1:12
- Search with lamps, who are stagnant in spirit
I know Antiochian model is so long ago.
We no longer need to preface our call to speak to those that have words of encouragement.
All the prompting one needs these days are :-
- Political motive
- Bones to pick with someone else ministry
- A lifestyle that we disagree with and the bible has given us enough cover
- Saw something on TV
- Not enough sleep
When we preach on the things mentioned above, we are already receiving our just reward.
Preaching for and to men.
Sometimes I think the reasons why our churches are empty is that we have locked people in.
We have counted who we will like counted and made sure the iffies are not let in.
Somewhere out there the good Lord is out there offering umbrellas to those who need it.
And, searching for lost souls.
While we get on TV and preach against Social Gospel.
SMH wondering which spirit gave us authority to preach against feeding the needy.
As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.”
Two thousand years later, Jesus’ words continue to confound us
beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod (Mark 8:14–15)