As part of a MS SQL Server 2012 install that I am performing, I am reviewing the OS Event Viewer to discover and hopefully address recurrent errors.
In Windows Logs – System, within each minute multiple occurrences of an error with Event ID = 10016.
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
to the user NT SERVICE\SQL Server Distributed Replay Client SID (S-1-5-80-3249811479-2167633679-2115734285-1138413726-166979568) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
Let us match the CLSID to their Com Components.
To do so launch regedit and search for the referenced CLSID and APPLID:
- Launch Administrative Tools \ Component Services
- Navigate to DCOM Config node
- Look for DReplay Controller
- Select that node
- Right click on your selection and choose Properties from the drop-down menu
- Tab – General
- Review the General Tab and ensure you have chosen to review\configure the right component
- Tab – Security
- Make your way to the Security Tab
- Within the “Launch and Activation Permissions” group box, ensure that Customize is chosen and click the Edit button
DReplayController – General
DReplayController – Security
DReplayController – Security – Launch and Activation Permission ( Post Install )
- The only account that is currently able to Activate the component is I, the installer.
DReplayController – Security – Launch and Activation Permission ( Post Install – Customization – Select Users or Groups)
DReplayController – Security – Launch and Activation Permission ( Post Install – Customization – Local and Activation Permission )
- Grant our noted service Account (“NT SERVICE\SQL Server Distributed Replay Client“) local activation permission