Brother Jacob Prasch places the third person of the trinity, the Holy Spirit, on the stand and delivers a cross examination.
Before espousing on Jacob’s work let us see what area of study to place it in.
As always, Wikipedia equips us.
Pneumatology is the study of spiritual beings and phenomena, especially the spiritual aspect of human beings and the interactions between humans and God. Pneuma (πνεῦμα) is Greek for “breath”, which metaphorically describes a non-material being or influence. Pneumatology as the study of the spirit is to be distinguished from psychology, the study of the soul. As many religious denominations do not distinguish between soul and spirit, this has been somewhat problematic.
In Christian theology pneumatology refers to the study of the Holy Spirit. Pneuma (πνεῦμα) is Greek for “breath”, which metaphorically describes a non-material being or influence. The English word comes from two Greek words: πνευμα (pneuma, spirit) and λογος (logos, teaching about). Pneumatology would normally include study of the person of the Holy Spirit, and the works of the Holy Spirit. This latter category would normally include Christian teachings on new birth, spiritual gifts (charismata), Spirit-baptism, sanctification, the inspiration of prophets, and the indwelling of the Holy Trinity (which in itself covers many different aspects). Different Christian denominations have different theological approaches.
- Gifts of the Spirit
- Holy Ghost last days
With our western mind, we usually look at them based on how they operate
- 1st Corinthians 12
- Utterance – Tongue
- Power – Healing
- Ephesians 4
- Romans 12:6
But, maybe we should look at them based on their aim/purpose:
Equip the Church to replay ministry of Jesus
- Mark 16:17-18
- And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.
- Greater works than me shall you do
- Numerically the following did more work
- Charles Spurgeon
- Billy Graham
- 1st Corinthians 12:14-31
- Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.
- Let the redeemed of the Lord say so ( Psalm 107:2 )
- With our lives and words
- Unity in Faith, Doctrine, and works
- Different Members working in Harmony
- Hebrew 2:4
- God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.
- Psalm 133:1
- How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity!
- Hebrew 2:4
- Bearing Witness
- John 10:37
- If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; but if I do them, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in Me, and I in the Father.“…
- The word and the gifts
Gifts Tailored to Calling
Most want to know what gifts they have…But, it might be more prudent to determine what calling God has on one’s life.
Once one knows what God has in mind for he or she, then go about seeing which gifts one currently has, and which ones to ask and wait on.
… for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose ( 2nd Timothy 1: 9)
- Word of Knowledge
- Know condition of your flock
- Have a feel for members that are struggling and hurting
- Through the spirit of revelation speak to congregant about sin in his life
- Gift of miracle
- Especially when sent to far eastern countries in Asia and Africa
- Personal versus Body
- I have the gift of Prophesy, No you have the Grace
- Gifts given to the Body through a person
- The gifts are not given to a person, they are given through a person
- Before identifying your gifts, first take a look at what God has called you to do – Teaching, “Pastor-ing” ( Pasturing ), Mission
- Holy Spirit
- If a ministry lacks Power, it might be because of suppression of the Holy Spirit
- On the other hand if it lacks holiness, it will lead to grieving the Holy Spirit
- Called and saved to help others to get there
There is plenty of rebuttal of the Charismatic Movement in general.
On the other hand, he came to the defense of:
- Dave Hunt ( The Berean Call )
- A woman Rides the Beast
Pastor Brian Brodersen
I am really impressed with Pastor Brian Brodersen’s response here:
- Toronto Blessing