Last Friday, I and the Project Manager of the Application I am working on locked ourselves in a conference room and tried to nail down some reports.
Honestly, it went slow.
I am not sure whether I was pensive as he is very busy and his time is premium or whether it was other things.
What I could not do
What simple things did I have problems with?
Well edit some of the text boxes.
Here is a walk through.
- Create a new Report
- Add an Header line
- Extend the Header line into two sentences
- Now try to access the Express Editor for the Header Text-box
- You will notice that the Expression menu item is disabled
Review Source Code
Let us review the Report Source Code and see if there is something special about our Text-box.
Let us assume that we captured the source code before extending the line.
Here is what happens once we have extended the text unto two lines:
- We have two paragraph elements – one for each line
In Source Code, Comment Out Second Line
Comment out second line
Let us confirm that the Expressions menu item re-appears
Proper use of Expression Editor
Here it how to separate our text into separate lines:
- We use the constant vbCRLF to separate out our lines
Thanks goodness for XML; as it makes Vendor generated code much easier to delve into.