Happy Diwali to my Hindu family.
Here is Wikipedia’s write-up:
Diwali also known as Deepavali and the “festival of lights”, is an ancient Hindu festival celebrated in autumn every year. The festival spiritually signifies the victory of light over darkness, knowledge over ignorance, good over evil, and hope over despair.
Before Diwali night, people clean, renovate and decorate their homes and offices.
I will like to request spirited and intercessory prayers for Nina Pham. Both Nina and Amber Vinson both cared for Thomas Eric Duncan.
Ms. Pham’s struggles is family business as indicated by the following sentences:
- At a traditional Monday night Mass at Our Lady of Fatima Church, her pastor, Jim Khoi, asked for prayers and support for Pham. The family is a long time presence at the church.
- “Family friend Tom Ha said Nina Pham is a “hero” to the Vietnamese-American community and that her family is devoutly Catholic with a strong desire to serve humanity and a history of serving the poor and sick”.
Amber Vinson is Ebola free.
Dr. Kent Brantly
Dr Kent Brantly who successfully fought off Ebola donated his blood to Nina Pham. Dr. Brantly, volunteers with “Samaritan Purse”, contacted Ebola while serving in Liberia.
Dr. Brantly received blood donation from one of his young patients in Liberia.
Ashoka Mukpo, a freelance cameraman, was infected as he covered the Ebola outbreak in West Africa for NBC.
Mukpo said about Brantly’s “May his health flourish and his compassion be known to us all.”
Nancy Writebol ( Clinical Nurse )
Nancy Writebol contacted Ebola while volunteering with North Carolina based “Serving In Mission (SIM)“. She miraculously survived. as well.
Here are some tracked conversations:
- “(I thought) I don’t even know if I’m going to make it to the United States,” she said. “I don’t know if I will ever see my dear husband again.”
- “It was a joy to be there,” she said. ” There was not a fear there. It was a wonderful place to be able to work and serve.”
- Writebol said that she has been asked many times what she thinks saved her – the Zmapp, the medical care or her faith.
Teresa Romero, a Spanish nurse, contacted the disease while caring for a Spanish missionary.
Samaritan’s Purse – Mission Statement
Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God’s love through His Son, Jesus Christ.
Please read more about Samaritan Purse here – http://www.samaritanspurse.org/.
Wall Street Journal has a good article that covers the participation of the various countries.
The article is titled “Cuban Doctors at the Forefront of Ebola Battle in Africa“. And, is is available @ http://online.wsj.com/articles/cuba-stands-at-forefront-of-ebola-battle-in-africa-1412904212.
As the WSJ Journal is only available to subscribers, a copy is available @ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nb9LPkSFMUVRYfAAv9vM_h7Rce_zUtYJxosXw9p1GYE/edit#
Ebola & Science
There are very well written scientific publications about Ebola. ScienceMag.org has a wealth of very well written and engrossing material.
- Like a flitting sparrow, like a flying swallow, so a curse without cause shall not alight ( Proverbs 26:2 )
- I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; and I will not remember your sins. Put Me in remembrance; let us contend together; state your case, that you may be acquitted ( Isaiah 43:25-26 )
- Then your light shall break forth like the morning, Your healing shall spring forth speedily, And your righteousness shall go before you; The glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard ( Isaiah 58:8 ) ( NKJV )
- The LORD said to me, “You have seen correctly, for I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled.” ( Jeremiah 1:12 )
- But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its rays. And you will go out and frolic like well-fed calves. ( Malachi 4:2 )
- As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. (John 9: 1-3)
- For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. ( 1 John 3:8b )
Ebola is microscopic of Life, And, though fraught with overwhelming issues. Nonetheless, it offers an engaging intersection of Faith, Science, Health and Public Service.
Nations who give give. People who study and have dedicated their life to serving others will continue to do so. Intercessory prayers of righteous people continue to be effectual.
Nina Pham declared Ebola free.
What will nurse do after beating Ebola? Hug her dog, of course
- She evoked God and science in expressing gratitude for her ongoing recovery from a disease that has no established cure.
- “I feel fortunate and blessed to be standing here today,” she said. “Throughout this ordeal, I have put my faith in God and my medical team.”
- She thanked Dr. Kent Brantly, the American physician who also survived Ebola, for donating his plasma to her while she was sick.
- Reports: Ebola patient gets blood transfusion
Dr. Kent Brantly
- Could Survivor blood stop Ebola
- Nancy Writebol, U.S. Ebola survivor, breaks her silence
- Ebola survivor II, Nancy Writebol: ‘We just don’t even have a clue what happened’ ( By Jon Cohen )
- Samaritan Purse
Serving in Ministry
- Serving in Ministry
Ebola in America
- Ebola patients Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol discharged from Hospital
- America Is Beating Ebola: Every Patient Taken To An Elite U.S. Facility Has Survived – Dan Diamond
Ebola & Science
- ScienceMag.org – Ebola