Technical: Microsoft – Windows 7 – Setup – Error – Windows Setup is unable to store temporary installation files. To install Windows, create more free space on the hard-drive or add a new hard drive
As always got to get up to speed on something. And, so find myself needing to convert one of my Microsoft Windows XP boxes to MS Windows 7.
I chose the Windows XP box knowing that I can upgrade from an earlier version of Windows to a new one. I will not be able to go back from MS Windows 8, etc.
Windows Setup is unable to locate a valid hard drive to store temporary installation files. To install Windows, create more free space on the hard drive or add a new hard drive.
So I thought to myself that I should just remove some of the unneeded files. Has MS has a path to doing so, I tried that first.
Access Disk Cleanup
Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
- Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type cleanmgr, and then click OK.-or-
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup.-or-
- In Windows Explorer or My Computer, right-click the disk in which you want to free up space, click Properties, click theGeneral tab, and then click Disk Cleanup.
Find files that you can clean-up
Convert Dynamic Disks to Basic Disks
Noticed that the second disk’s type is Dynamic let us go convert to Basic.
Unfortunate the Disk Partition tool bundled with MS Windows XP does not allow us go revert back to Basic once we have gone to Dynamic.
And, so we will use a 3rd party tool.
EaseUS – Partition Magic
Download and install “EaseUS – Partition Magic Master Free Edition”.
Download Partition Magic dom http://www.partition-tool.com/.
Please be careful during install. There are many freewares bundled with this tool and so be extra careful so as to avoid them.
Here is the Before view. You can see that Disk 2 is marked dynamic MBR.
- Right click on Disk 2
- Choose to convert to Basic
- From the top icon bar, choose the “Apply” option
- Accept that it is OK to “Reboot Computer”
Here is the in the between view:
- We have made the change, but yet to Apply it.
Moral of the story
During MS Windows 7 install, each disk that you will like considered as a temporary holding space must be marked Basic; and not Dynamic.