Lately, have started seeing this error on MS Windows 2008/R2 Servers:
This snap-in is not responding.
To return to MMC and check the status of the snap-in, click Cancel.
If you choose to end the snap-in immediately, you will lose any unsaved data. To end the snap-in now, click End Now.
- If you have recently installed an Application that might have “disturbed” MMC, please un-install it
- Re-install Microsoft .Net Framework – In our case, we are on Microsoft Windows 2008/R2 and our Framework is v3.5, and so we have to handle via “Server Manager”
- Access “Server Manager” via “Administrative Tools” \ “Server Manager”
- From the “Role” Service panel, un-install “Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1”
- From the “Role” Services panel, install “Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1”
In this case, it actually speeded things up for us to uninstall and reinstall from the command line.
Remove Microsoft .Net Framework
servermanagercmd.exe -remove AS-Net-Framework
Install Microsoft .Net Framework
servermanagercmd.exe -install AS-Net-Framework