Google – Chrome – Default Search Engine keeps chaging (in this case to Yahoo)
Google’s Chrome has a rather clean interface. And, it is usually easy enough to use.
But, lately, every time I search, I find myself @ Yahoo Search.
Usually, I will review my customization settings and ensure that it my Search Engine is still set for Google.
What to do….Stayed with it for a while.
But, this morning opted to dig a little dipper.
Google for what takes Google Search to Yahoo.
Found out that a little Application known as “SearchSettings” by a company known as “Spigot” has been playing with me all along.
Tellingly, I was using one of their Apps to download YouTube Videos.
- Launched “Task Manager” and kill off the “SearchSettings.exe” or “SearchSettings.exe*32”.
- Launched “System Configuration” \ msconfig.exe and disabled “Search Settings” from running during Start-up
- Accessed “Control Panel” \ “Program & Features” or “Add \ Remove Programs” and uninstalled “You-Tube Downloader”
Ensure that you have the proper settings for Google Search in Chrome:
1) Click the wrench icon on the browser toolbar.
2) Or enter the URL “chrome://chrome/settings/” in your Google URL box
3) In the “Search settings” group box, click on “Manage Search Engines …”
4) In the “Default Search Engine”, ensure that the “Default Search Engine” chosen is “Google” and that the URL resembles:
Keep in mind:
- YouTube Downloader does not tell you that it is changing your DefaultSearch Provider and that it will keep doing it behind the scene
- Chrome – Set your default Search Engine
- How to make Google Chrome search using google.com rather than google.com.hk?