Microsoft – SQL Server – v 2008-R2 – Service Pack 1 (SP1) – Upgrade fails Silently
Trying to install “Microsoft SQL Server – v2008/R2” Service Pack 1 (SP1) fails.
Yes, upgrade are apt to fail sometimes, but this time, it is failing miserably.
What do I mean miserable; well:
- Upon extraction of the compressed exe update file, the application simply shuts down.
- No error messages
- Nothing useful in the Event Log
- Tweak “Local Policy” to enable logging of failures
- Tried SysInternal’s “ProcessMonitor”
Nothing. It is pulling the Great Houdini. What to do, when things go bye bye, without a word.
Well Google of course. But for what; what is my foe. Every story needs a foe…
So brought the old notepad editor and created a little command file:
SQLServer2008R2SP1-KB2528583-x64-ENU.exe echo ErrorLevel is %errorlevel%
Subconsciously, I know that if I am able to capture the error number, I will be able to get a bit of help from the “Oracle” of “Problem and Resolution Engine”, Google.
So run the command file and was able to get our Error Number:
Having en error number meant that in time we might get somewhere. Flirted with calling MS Support.
Went to Sleep over it. Hoping that a good night sleep and a rested mind will do a bit of good.
Googled for “2147467259 sql server setup.exe”
And, the most helpful link led to
1) SQL Server Express 2008 Setup Error : Exit code -2147467259.
Found a couple of correlated messages in the “Event Viewer”.
1) .Net Runtime version 2.0.50727.5420 – Error ‘Invalid syntax on line 166.’ occurred while parsing the ‘Machine’ policy level. The default policy level was used instead.
The fix prescribed in the article is to launch a “command shell” and issue:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\caspol.exe -machine -reset
Did, but no help
Hours later, went back and found another link:
1) SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 2 fails to install
In an helpful exchange between Deepesh_MSNDN & Costanza, they spoke about target the 64-bit .Net Environment
cd c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727 caspol.exe -machine -reset
As the machine is 64-bit, targeting 64-bit was most useful.
Couple of places to check per failed install\upgrade:
- /%program files%/microsoft sql server/100/setup bootstrap/log
- SQL Server Express 2008 Setup Error : Exit code -2147467259.
- SQL Server 2005 tries to load .NET 4.0 (even if OnlyUseLatestCLR is 0)
- MSQL Server 2008 Service Pack 2 fails to install
- How to Identify SQL Server 2008 setup issues through setup log files