When the SQL Developer that is bundled with 64-bit Oracle 11G Client is launched, one is prompted for the location of java.exe.
As the SQL Developer is running on a 64-bit system, the more natural choice is to go with 64-bit Java run-time.
Doing so will be a mistake and if one would have done so, one would be greeted with this error message.
WARNING: Could not find jvm.cfg! in 'E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_26\jre\lib\jvm.cfg' WARNING: Cannot find default VM "client" at E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_26 ERROR: Cannot find VM at: E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_26 Aborting!
- Identify the folder where the sqldeveloper is located
- In our case the folder is E:\app\oracle\x64\product\11.2.0\client_1\SQLDEVELOPER\SQLDEVELOPER\BIN
- Open the sqldeveloper.conf in a text editor
- Comment out the SetJavaHome that references the 64-bit Java.exe
E:\Program Files and add a new line that references the 32-bit E:\Program Files (x86)
#SetJavaHome E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_26 SetJavaHome E:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_26
- Save the edited file
- Relaunch SQL Developer
Crediting 561237. He referenced the solution in a response he gave on the “OTN Community”.
Posted about changes post SQL Developer v4 here
- SQLDeveloper 1.5.1 won’t recognise JDK.