Symantec – AntiVirus (10) – Causes slow Computer Response\Busy CPU\High Memory uptake by Rtvscan.exe
One of our servers is always slow. We have rebuilt it a few times over, but it stays slow.
Finally this morning I decided to Google the offending process, the one with the high memory usage.
Lord and behold, Symantec appears to what appears to be a fix:
To work around this issue:
Add the following Key and values to Windows 2003 32-bit and 64-bit Servers:
- Start regedit.exe and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify
- Right-click on the Notify key, and select New > Key.
- Type NavLogon for the key.
- Right-click on the NavLogon key, and select New > String value.
- Type DllName for the String value.
- Right-click on the DllName String value, and select Modify.
- For the Value data, type C:\WINDOWS\system32\NavLogon.dll (default OS install path)
- Click OK and exit the Registry Editor.
After making registry changes, restart the Windows 2003 Server.